FNUF 13-COMIFAC: The Congo Basin makes strong showing at thirteenth session of United Nations Forum on Forests, UN headquarters, Trusteeship Chamber
New-York, 10 May 2018 - The Permanent Mission of the Republic of Rwanda to the United Nations in partnership with the Central African Forest Commission (COMIFAC) and in close collaboration with the CBFP Facilitation of the Kingdom of Belgium held a high-level side event at the UN Trusteeship alongside UNFF 13. The event was chaired by the Republic of Rwanda, which currently holds the Presidency of the Central African Forest Commission.
The high-level side event aimed to bring international visibility to the COMIFAC countries’ efforts in the area of conservation, management and sustainable development of forest ecosystems in Central Africa. It attracted the Heads of Diplomatic Missions of the COMIFAC member countries accredited to the United Nations, partners and key donors, UNFF focal points in the Central African countries, the CBFP Facilitation of the Kingdom of Belgium and the Executive Secretariat and showcased the efforts of the COMIFAC member countries.
The high-level event revolved around:
- An opening session marked by three speeches: remarks by Mr. Ndomba Ngoye Raymond, Executive Secretary of COMIFAC, a statement by the representative of the CBFP Facilitator of the Kingdom of Belgium, and the opening speech by the Acting President of COMIFAC, Her Excellency Francine Tumushime, Minister of Lands and Forests of Rwanda, represented by Ms. Urujeni Bakuramutsa, Deputy Permanent Representative of the Republic of Rwanda to the United Nations
- A technical segment, comprising three presentations: Presentation 1: The importance of Congo Basin forests and their contribution to the global climate and ecosystem cycle - Presentation 2: COMIFAC, a policy tool for sub regional cooperation in the Forest and Environment sector- Presentation 3: The future of the forest ecosystems of the Congo Basin: challenges and prospects.
- A high-level panel which allowed for discussions between the Heads of Diplomatic Missions and various partners on increasing financial support to face the challenges of sustainable management, conservation and development in Central Africa, came to close the event.
Issues at the center of the discussions focused on the following points:
- Ownership by the Heads of Diplomatic Missions and efforts made by the sub-regional body.
- Funding needs of the Central African countries in the area of forest management, biodiversity conservation, community development, climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Possible measures the partners can take to increase international partners’ interest in the Congo Basin and COMIFAC
For more information, please see:
Concept note of the high-level event
Start of the Support Project for the Development of Continuing Training in the Forest-Woods Sector in Central Africa (Appui au Développement de la Formation Continue dans la Filière Forêt-Bois en Afrique Centrale -ADEFAC) - ATIBT
Read more … Start of the Support Project for the Development of Continuing Training in the Forest-Woods Sector in Central Africa (Appui au Développement de la Formation Continue dans la Filière Forêt-Bois en Afrique Centrale -ADEFAC) - ATIBT
Development and institutionalization of a PAFC certification system for the Congo basin: opening of the second public consultation on Sustainable Forest Management Certification Standard, 23 May 2020 - 22 June 2020
Read more … Development and institutionalization of a PAFC certification system for the Congo basin: opening of the second public consultation on Sustainable Forest Management Certification Standard, 23 May 2020 - 22 June 2020
There are no news items for this period.